Friday, April 24, 2009

Closing Blog

After a long, 2 day journey to Minneapolis, I am home.
My last few days in Kathmandu were very long and drawn out.  I also wasn't feeling one hundred percent.  I was so tired, and a bit sickly- small appetite and what not.  Each day, I woke up  and thought about how to kill the day.  I mostly shopped for gifts, would take a nap, walk around, and then find some dinner.  My heart was torn.  I love this place- I absolutely do.  I could spend  atleast another six months here just exploring and soaking it up.  For such a small country, there is so much to see and experience.  I just love it.  But yet, I am so ready, and so excited to go home.  I want to sleep in a real bed, with fitted sheets and lay my head on a real pillow, that isn't just a piece of foam with a pillow case on it.  I want to drink coffee, and see my friends and family, and see the kids at school.  I want to NOT worry about water, and if there is enough of it to shower, and NOT have to buy bottled water (the valve in my water filter tore, so I can't just filter my water anymore) and buy a tasty beer that isn't an Everest or Nepal Ice.  But then, WAIT!  I don't care!  I want to stay!  Ughhh.... Each day, I couldn't decide how I felt about my departure date coming up so soon.  Kathmandu had also become very boring for me.  I had seen a lot, had memorized Thamel like the back of my hand- there was just nothing to do, especially for not feeling well enough to go explore anyway.  Had I rested, and had some plan to go do something else,  I probably would not be thinking so much.  But, it was how it was, and April 21st snuck up on me.  I had my last Dal Bhat for lunch, and went to dinner at Fire and Ice Pizza (as recommended  by Tish and Rick) with some friends from my guest house, then to Sams Bar ( our favorite hang out ) for a last drink.  My flight left in the afternoon, so I had time to sleep, and go to brunch.  I went to Northfields, a little cafe I had sort of become a regular at , and the owner insisted on taking me to the airport.  I agreed, and at 1pm, we caught a cab to the airport.  On the way, we were stuck in a jam for political demonstrations on the street.  Regardless, I made it to the airport.  I had to pay an airport tax (anyone ever heard of that?  I sure hadn't... but I guess in a poor country it makes sense.) of 1, 340 rupees.   The airport is very small.  I flew to Delhi where I had a long 9 hour layover.  Luckily, I met some really friendly people  and spent a  lot of time just talking (you all know how good I am at that :) )
From there to Brussels, and Brussels to New York, and New York, to finally home.  Rhett picked me up at the airport.  I felt like I smelled like a rotten skunk and desperately wanted to take a clean shower.  It was the strangest feeling of being home.  
I spent my first day home visiting friends, and through them did a lot of reflecting on my trip.  I know that I have learned more than I even know at this point, but I already feel the effects of Nepal.  I feel some changes- changes for the better- and am excited to continue to learn from that experience.
I would like to thank everyone for taking time to read this blog.  It was such a fun outlet for me, and fun to be able to communicate with you all.  I loved getting on the computer and reading all the comments you guys would leave.  
I would also like to thank everyone for your support, in whatever way you chose to support me. I am very grateful to have so many amazing friends, family, co-workers, and parents from my school that supported my decision to do this and help me in whatever way.  From the bottom of my heart, Thank you.  Looking forward to seeing you all so soon. :)
one last time,
Nameste.
Athena 

1 comment:

  1. glad you had something special ...

    see you soon, hopefully! <3 steve

    ReplyDelete