Friday, March 6, 2009

Poverty

Last night I had way too much fun. I was invited by a local to go see some live music on a rooftop. It was awesome. I will have to do impressions for you guys when I get home. I drank too much, and ended up dancing and doing a shot with some girls I started talking to and hanging out with. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough food in me, so I ended up getting a bit sick later that night.

So, today I felt pretty crappy. I ate a muffin and some mint tea, and started to wonder with my friend from the hostel. I found myself at a new temple somewhere outside Thamel (the main tourist district, which I have stayed in mostly because it feels safe) An Indian man started talking to us about it, and told us about the festival coming up , festival of colors. Which is why water baloons are constantly being thrown at me- I'm their target practice. He invited us to tea in a little place nearby. He gave us endless tips of being in the city, how to save money, and finding good, honest shops. Good man. His name is Raju. He ends up taking us back to Boudhnath, now my third time there, but this time we go to a different monestary, the white one. I took my shoes off and followed Raju inside. There were about 50 monks in there oming and chanting, and playing enourmous horns. IT was so intense. I started tearing up from the energy that room held. I couldn't believe it. It travels through your body and you suddenly feel very light, and small in this big world. There was a giant gold buddha in the center of the room.
We left and went to a room where women work all day on Mandalas. They are amazing. a man there explained everything.
Next, Raju took us to his home. He lives in a muslim community with other Indians. His home is literally a shack. His beautiful daughter was sleeping. She had a cold. His wife made us Indian tea. He talked to us about how hard it is, but how grateful he is. His eyes started to tear up. I had to help. I sat on their bed/couch/table/ main furniture. I ended up buying him a shoe box he can use to repair shoes to make money to support his family. I have never seen a man more grateful in my life. He shook my hand with tears, and his wife kept bowing to me. I left in tears too. I have never seen anyone so poor in all my life. It is intense. He asked me to stay for dinner, but I was really hungry for some Dal Bhat, so I said goodbye. We took the local mini bus (basically a van people pile into for 5 rupee) back to town. A wonderful man we met on the bus lead us to Thamel, and he recommended a great cheap place to get Dal Bhat. I dont think that place gets much tourists.
I am exhausted now.
Power will probably go off soon.
Love to you all.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Athena - you continue to be led in righteous directions, and to be shown a slice of life that only a few can see - The experience with the Muslin family was wonderful to hear - I think the best thing we can do is to teach, and to help people get the tools in life that they need in order to help themselves, no matter what those tools may be (education, a hammer, a sewing needle & thread, a packet of seeds...) - we are all different and struggle with our own paths in life - sometimes all we need is a chance - Keep on bloggin'... & be safe! Love ya - Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Athena - lovely story about Raju and the shoe box. Made me tear up just reading it. You are so special!

    I could just hear the monks chanting, oming, and the horns. What a beautiful experiences you are having.

    Love reading your travel blogs! Thanks for sharing.

    Den

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your stories, Athena! WOW!
    Love you!
    Liana

    ReplyDelete