Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 2 in Kathmandu

Last night I had a wonderful dinner with Tina, the head of the responsible travellers, along with her parents, a friends, and another traveller. Tina also showed me around a bit, which was enormously helpful. I had my first Dal Bhat for dinner, along with a tasty "Nepal Ice" beer. I learned so much, I don't even know where to start. I guess what impacted me the most was what I learned about the schools here. The Gov. funded schools are crap- there are 300 kids in a school with bare walls, one toilet (with no tank , just a hole, and most of the stuff is just all over the place.) I have a choice of either going to these types of schools and helping the teachers with guidance, and how to work with these kids, give them guidance ands such, or going to Pokara and working talking to families and finding out how their educational programs are working out. It's a tough call.

Today I got up adn had breakfast at my hostel,and met up with people at the Shanker Hotel. From their we visited the holy Hindu Temple, saw TONS of monkeys, and watched a cremation- it was a beautiful and quite amazing place. There was cows wandering around and people would come and touch the cows because they were holy. Holy Cow. I got a picture I am excited about of a yogi all in white ash, painted face- you actually have to pay them money to take their picture. They know they are photogenic... and they really are. Next, we went to the famous budha eyes... I wish I could remember teh names of these places. But it was fabulous. Monks walked around while spinning prayer wheels, Om music we play at the preschool set a wonderful mood in the background, and we all felt instantly calm while there. I think it is becasue we were away from the honking and motorcyles, and pedestrians- it is pretty crazy just wallking around. Getting hit seems like it si always a possiblity. We ate lunch on the rough of a building with the most fantastic view of teh city and the eyes. After that we came back to Thamel, and my newly acquired English friend Clare and I went ad foudn a watch, since my hostel doesn't have any clocks and I never know what time it is. IT was sorta an adventure- we toke a ride to find it in, well, essentially it is a basket you ride in and a man pulls you on a bicycle. lIke a carriage.
Dinner is soon, and I have to pee badly, so I will say good bye for now.
Talk to you allsoon.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Athena - I'm excited for you and glad it's going well! Love the blog - keep it up! Can you include photos? Will you have internet the entire time? What's the temperature? Does your phone work? Call me. -- Ok that's a joke -- might be a little much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. darlin you sound like like your adjusting in your Athena way (quick and easy). Hope you are taking MEGA pictures... Whatever you decided to do with those schools sounds like it will be AMAZING, I personally think you should do whatever will get you in contact with as many kids as possible because your natural flare with them. keep us posted I miss you crazily.

    and remember: 'those who choose the buffalo, are only choosing small, thinly woven baskets that contain high level alkaline battery acid." - the Dali LLama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob- The weather is nice- in the 70's in the day time and drops just enough to need a fleece at night. I am not sure if I can put pictures on this or not- we'll see. I hate my new camera. It takes bad pictures.

    Rhett- I miss you crazily too. I may call you right now, The dirt devil is upstairs in a basket next to the sink. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay athena! you rock, perhaps I'll see you when you come through NY in April.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Athena-
    Dad says: 'Look out for flying monkeys'
    Mom says; 'Don't step in cow pies'
    We are both so proud of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Heed! This is sooo exciting! Tough decision on which way to help, but either way will be an awesome experience. Sounds incredible already... Love you, sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Miss Athena:
    I hope you are having a good travel. . .and the monkeys on your trip? . . do they act like curious george? . . and did you see the man with the yellow hat??
    Nina T. Gabrielson (lhms)

    p.s. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Athena - Printed all your entries and took to
    Helen & Ken so they could read and participate
    in your journey - they loved it, and are so proud of their great-granddaughter - they think that whatever you decide to do will be constructive and a great experience - Luv u Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greettings from the Alpine Jones'
    The girls(3) and I were so excited to read about your travels so far. We got out a world map to trace your journey, I am giving a written test tomorrow. Can't wait to hear more news of your adventures. BTW who works in the 7-11's in Katmandu? Not PC, sorry. We love you mucho!
    Leland, Stephanie, Alexa, ans Sydney.

    ReplyDelete